Monday, February 6, 2012

Christians Must Stand Up for Our Country


We must do more than just “fit in” to the stance of our local congregation/pastor (I believe what I do or don’t do is between me and God) or agree with a cause or simply stop doing something in protest.

We must find a way to “fight” for change, be it signing a petition, supporting or fighting against legislation, even vetting the right candidate and voting for them or just alerting people that the enemy is approaching. 

I chose to exercise my  watchman calling by running for County Chair of the local Republican Party as a conservative Christian and by keeping up with current events from a variety of sources including liberal, conservative, Christian and Israeli.  I have chosen to be active in my support or non-support of legislation and those that know me, know that I am not shy about stating my opinion.  I tend to be a little radical in my thinking but if I am to be a watchman on the wall, I must always be ready to send the alarm when the enemy shows it ugly head and God’s people are being threatened.  I encourage Christians to pray, but to know that God works through people, so to be prepared to actually do something like vote or protest that which is not of God in our government or workplace.  If we don’t speak up as Christians, who will speak for us?  Madeline O’Hare? Barack Obama?

I stepped up and got the National Day of Prayer started in our county.  I immediately came up against the County in being denied use of the courthouse lawn and flagpole to hold a 15 minute prayer event.  (Their reasoning, BTW, was… if we were allowed to have it, then they would have to allow Muslims, Hindus, etc. to do it.)  The City graciously allowed us to hold it beside City Hall the first year, so I chose not to take on the battle at the courthouse.  My point here is that I don’t want any of you to assume we are not affected by the things going on in our country.  This is a Christian nation, whether Obama, the Supreme Court or the commissioners court agree.

Satan is going around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.  He is not silently waiting in the background.  If we don’t STAND UP for what we believe, we will continue to lose ground in our great country.  We have the freedom to do so right now although we’re being persecuted for it.  How much farther will the Church (all God’s people) allow Satan’s grip to go on in our country?  How much longer will we silently wait in the background for God to send a lightning bolt?  He works through us, but we must pray, listen and then do what He says.  He didn’t quit speaking to us when Paul died.  His Holy Spirit is here.  He is the Alpha and the Omega, and that means from the first to the last or the beginning to the end.  He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. 

We are to go into the world and spread the gospel, whether it be easy or life-threatening.  I don’t believe He was talking about Africa or the Middle East, necessarily.  It means in our neighborhoods, our communities, our states and our country.  Live it, allow others to see it in your life and be watchmen on the wall, sounding the alarm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment